Monday, April 21, 2008

Week 7: Tagging, Folksonomies, del.icio.us and Library Thing





I must admit that I found this week a little overwhelming. First of all I realised that I had a lot of catching up to do,and then I found the whole thing a little challenging. I think the most difficult thing for me is to remember. After I read the instructions, visit different sites and then attempt the practical exercises, i tend to forget what I read, which sites I visited and what I observed. So I find that I am constantly going back and forth so it takes a long time to complete lessons.

del.icio.us - very useful tool, certainly beats the old bookmarking system specially since with del.icio.us , you can tag, bundle and share your favourite sites and at the same time be able to access them from any computer, anywhere. It would be a very useful tool to researchers, for referencing work, especially for school homework help, and for people with special interests.

Library Thing is awesome! It is book lovers' paradise!
Unfortunately it's late and I don't have enough time to explore as much as I would like to. I have joined and entered several titles that just happen to be sitting on my bookshelf.
This is a great tool for cataloguing and managing small collections,connecting with people who share similar reading interests, for book clubs and discussion groups,keeping up to date with new publications and much more. Great potential for libraries!
I am certainly going to revisit this site when I have more time to explore. Also, something to look forward to when I retire!

No comments: