Thursday, April 24, 2008

Week 10: Mashups

Life is beautiful!!!


This was a very enjoyable learning exercise!
The featured video on Google Maps API is excellent. The examples were very good. I especially liked API Sites Panoramic Maps which at the click of the mouse open a picture of that particular location.
A very useful tool for real estate business and tourism promotions. The other interesting example was Wikimapia, where user generated data can be added to maps, and anyone can have a go.
Being able to add different features to Google maps is absolutely amazing! It has a great potential for so many uses, even in libraries!
My very favourite site though is Keir Clarke's Star Viewer. http://keirclarke.googlepages.com/sky.htm
I can spend hours looking at it! Wow! It's beautiful! I shall certainly keep going back to it often.
Big huge tabs was really easy to use, (once I stopped hyperventilating looking for instructions on how to do a Mashup), and realised that all I had to do was select one of the examples, click on it and then follow the steps. Easy and lots of fun! I will go back to it when I have more time and create fun family albums.
Mashups can be used in libraries as promotional tools/displays, fun staff albums around special events, book week, renovations/building of a new libraries etc. Great for History and Heritage displays!

No comments: